Thursday, August 4, 2011

Where do we get information for our scientific explanations at the Bradbury Science Museum?



A lot of our information, especially about our exhibits, comes from scientists working in the fields of those exhibits. At Los Alamos National Laboratory, we have lots of scientists working on many different kinds of projects. Some of the information comes from research we do on a particular subject. We have people who take that information and try to make it understandable for our typical visitors. We also have a very talented exhibit designer, and a terrific exhibit builder to make the displays attractive.

The educators teach lessons that we have researched, and some of the information comes from classes we had in our elementary, middle, and high schools, as well as college. We all went to college. We have also had many interesting conversations with scientists. We read science publications, journals, and magazines, as well as articles in the newspaper. We do a lot of research in books and on the Internet.

Speaking for myself, I love reading books. My favorite books are non-fiction, books about things that are real. I am never very far from a book, and right now I am reading three at the same time! (I don't recommend reading more than one at a time, but this is just the way I am.) Many of the facts that I like to share come from books I have read, many of them long before I had any idea that some day I would be using that information to teach to students.